For 6 people, or 3 people wanting 2 burgers each
There are three stages to creating tofu burgers:
- Creating the salad platter
- Mixing and cooking the patties
- Oiling and toasting the buns
Creating the salad platter
Create stacks of salad goodies each with their own dressing onto the platter, e.g.:
- Lettuce with diced radish and capers on top, dressed with lemon and olive oil
- Layers of tomatoes sprinkled with chopped basil, sea salt and black pepper
- Layers of cucumber sprinkled with apple cider vinegar and olives of your choice
- Grated beetroot and carrot soaked in honey mustard dressing
Mixing and cooking the patties
Take 2 blocks of tofu and wrap them in a paper towel and press so the excess water is drained out. Cut one block in half length ways and the again across the width so you have 4 pieces tofu per block.
Warning about the heat of the pan: The oil should be hot enough the bottom of the tofu is cooked golden and a little crispy – but not so hot it will stick and burn.
Reduce the heat of the pan, then do Option A, B or C.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of curry powder onto the tofu – try not to get it on the pan.
- Spread crushed garlic and grated ginger on the top of each piece of tofu – try not to drop on the pan, just on the tofu.
- Grate black pepper on top as well.
- Carefully flip each piece over so the spices are now facing down and within 30 seconds add a generous sprinkling of tamari (3 Tbsp) and 4-6 Tbsp tomato sauce.
- Toss tofu so it is coated in the sauce.
- Heat a pan and put oil in the fry pan – cover bottom of pan (3-4 Tbsp) add the kaffir lime leaf if using one.
- Mix a small amount of green Thai green curry paste (½ tsp) with a ½ tsp oil (sesame, sunflower,) a ½-1 tsp crushed garlic and ½-1 tsp grated ginger root. Smear this on top of the tofu.
- Fry the tofu with the spiced side facing up until the bottom is golden.
- Flip it over frying for 30 seconds only and then add ¼ – ½ cup of coconut milk so a sauce forms around the tofu.
- Heat a pan and put oil in the fry pan – cover bottom of pan (3-4 Tbsp depending on size of the pan).
- Fry the tofu until the surface on both sides is crispy and golden.
- Mix a ¼ cup of peanut butter with ¼ tsp Vegcon Paste, ½ tsp of Thai Red Curry Paste, 1 tsp of tamari, clove of crushed garlic, ½ tsp grated ginger and 1/8 cup water – beat it until it is a smooth sauce.
- Drain excess oil from pan leaving the tofu in the pan and then pour the sauce on and around the tofu heating them both together.
Oiling and toasting the buns
You can use organic spelt baps, organic breads, or the less wholesome but easy to purchase burger buns.
- Mix half a cup of olive oil with 1 tbsp garlic and using pastry brush or a teaspoon paint over the surface of the cut buns or bread.
- Sprinkle with organic mixed herbs or freshly cut basil, and then with Parmesan cheese. Another option which is quite rich in taste (and for the pocket too!) is to paint them with pesto.
- Toast under the grill. Another option is to put sliced pineapple on top with a small helping of cheese (rennet free).
Place all three parts on the table and invite everyone to build a burger according to their personal taste!
(Image credit: Sirja Ellen, Flickr)